IMPLICATIONS OF VOTING
In some cases and communities, the exercise of a vote carries some responsibilities that may not be immediately obvious. For example, in some cases a favourable vote carries the implied message ‘I approve and I’m willing to help.’ Also, an unfavourable vote may imply that ‘I disapprove, but I have an alternative and will help with that alternative.’
The tacit implications of voting should be spelt out in the community’s guidelines. However, in no case may someone’s vote be considered invalid if the implied commitment doesn’t appear to be met; a vote is a formal expression of opinion, not of commitment.
If the R-T-C policy is in effect, a positive vote carries the very strong implied message, ‘I have tested this patch myself, and found it good.’ Similarly, a negative vote usually means that the patch was tested and found to be not -good, although the veto (for such it is in this case) may be based on other technical grounds.
EXPRESSING VOTES: +1, 0, -1, AND FRACTIONS
The voting process in Apache may seem more than a little weird if you’ve never encountered it before. Votes are represented as numbers between -1 and +1, with ‘-1’ meaning ‘no’ and ‘+1’ meaning ‘yes.’
The in-between values are indicative of how strongly the voting individual feels. Here are some examples of fractional votes and ways in which they might be intended and interpreted:
- +0: ‘I don’t feel strongly about it, but I’m okay with this.’
- -0: ‘I won’t get in the way, but I’d rather we didn’t do this.’
- -0.5: ‘I don’t like this idea, but I can’t find any rational justification for my feelings.’
- ++1: ‘Wow! I like this! Let’s do it!’
- -0.9: ‘I really don’t like this, but I’m not going to stand in the way if everyone else wants to go ahead with it.’
- +0.9: ‘This is a cool idea and i like it, but I don’t have time/the skills necessary to help out.’
Votes should generally be permitted to run for at least 72 hours to provide an opportunity for all concerned persons to participate regardless of their geographic locations.
如果您从未遇到过，Apache的投票过程可能看起来有点怪异。投票用-1和+1之间的数字表示，“-1”表示“否”，“ + 1”表示“是”。 中间的值指示有投票权的人的感觉有多强。以下是部分表决的一些示例以及打算使用和解释它们的方式：
- ++ 1：“哇！我喜欢这个！我们开始做吧！’